THE FAN DANCE OVERVIEW
This is a 24km route march in the Brecon Beacons which is infamous within the ranks of all UKSF soldiers. It is now over 50 years old and still today forms the first major hurdle on Selection and is a major indicator of whether a potential UKSF soldier has the physical and mental determination to complete it within the cut off time set by the D.S (Directing Staff). The route starts and finishes at The Storey Arms Outdoor Education Centre and ascends Pen y Fan which is 2,907 feet (886 m…). The turn round point is at Torpantau where candidates will have to quickly turn round then return using the same route back up and over Pen y Fan via a very steep path known as Jacobs Ladder.
The Fan Dance With TSFE
What will I receive?
- Custom TSFE Fan Dance Medal
- Finishers Fan Dance Certificate
- Complimentary snacks at halfway point
- Complimentary food at finish
- Complimentary Post Event Sports Massage
- Free downloadable high res images of your experience
What should I expect?
- A professionally organised event hosted by highly experienced, dedicated staff from various backgrounds including UK Special Forces and Parachute Regiment Pathfinders
- A huge sense of achievement in completing this arduous 24km route which tests soldiers for suitability to serve with UK Special Forces
- An opportunity to meet new friends and forge new bonds with like minded folk
- Male or Female, the perfect backdrop to test yourself against the clock and other teams or individuals
You can choose to compete in one of the four categories below
Clean FatigueGenerally for participants who wish to run/walk the route without carrying weight, e.g, running shoes, shorts/leggings, T-shirt etc.
Minimum kit required-Waterproof Jacket -Water carrier or bottle -Map of area (provided)
Load BearingBoots & 35lbs bergen
Minimum kit required- Hat & Gloves - Waterproof jacket - Water carrier/bottle - Food - Map (provided) - Small first aid kit - Spare clothing - Mobile phone
Over 50’s Clean Fatigue or Load bearingSame rules apply as per Clean Fatigue and Load-bearing categories only the weight is reduced to 25lbs for the Load-bearing.
Loadstone45lbs bergen plus a cut-off time set by the D.S. Only those who finish within this time will continue to the next stage - Point to Point. Click here for more information
Minimum kit required:- As per Load Bearing
THE FAN DANCE EVENT ITINERARY
Itinerary to be confirmed closer to event date.
How to find The Fan Dance event
Pont Ar Daf Carpark
The Brecon Beacons National Park lies on the border between Mid Wales and South Wales. It’s home to waterfalls, forests, market towns and the highest peak in southern Britain.
Directions / Parking
By bus: Take the T4 service between Cardiff and Newtown. For up to date local bus information call Traveline Cymru on 0871 200 22 33 or use their online journey planner at TravelineCymru.
By train: The nearest train station is Merthyr Tydfil. The start point (Storey Arms car park) is 11 miles (18km), 18 mins, by road.
By car: From the M4, follow the A470 north towards Brecon. There is a large carpark at The Storey Arms. For more details, and to plan your journey from further afield, please use the Google Maps direction finder.